4.29.2014

We have had our precious boxer, Mojo, since he was 8 weeks old. He was a tiny little guy back then...here's his first day with us! We fell so in love with him...how could you not?! Just look at his sweet brown eyes and those adorable little ears (Mojo's, not Jason's ;) ).


Now he's a much BIGGER guy, but just as sweet and loving.

For a long time, he was such a wonderful addition to our two-person family. And, he still IS a wonderful dog. He's loving, kind, wouldn't purposefully hurt a fly (well, maybe a fly...but certainly not a person). Lately though, it has been very humbling to realize that we are not cut out to be great dog owners, and he is made for a different type of family. Mojo doesn't know his own size and strength, and while he has never purposefully hurt Annabelle, he has accidentally hurt her a bunch of times. The latest was when he was just so excited that we were home, that he knocked her into the corner and she got a bloody nose, poor kid. There have been lots of little "accidents" that have thankfully been just fine, but could have been not so fine. (I got clotheslined by his leash the other day, and have a huge rope burn on my calf, and fell hard on my back and arm...at 36 weeks pregnant, that's not the greatest thing to have happen. Thankfully I saw it happening and was able to catch myself from falling onto my belly.) Anyway, there are lots of other little things like that which have happened that we just are getting tired of dealing with. We're worried about having another baby in the house, and I get worried about babysitting three days a week with other kids in the house.

Because of having the other kids in the house, Mojo also spends a lot of time in his crate, which he doesn't seem to mind, but I can't imagine is a very happy thing for him. He does love being in his crate, and sleeps in there by his own choosing. But, I feel bad having to lock him in there for most of 3 days a week when I'm babysitting. I tried putting him just in our front room with a gate, but he whined and whined to get out and be with us. It is sad. He LOVES being around people, and I feel bad that he can't be 3 days out of the week. 

We also have so much going on that we don't give him nearly the attention that he deserves. We walk him, sure, but he is such a fun-loving dog and doesn't get to go run around and play with other dogs, or run off-leash, or do other fun things that I know he'd love to do. I completely recognize that this is a choice, and we could wake up earlier or stay up later or choose to spend more time with him than on our house projects. But we don't. It's just not our priority anymore, as our family is growing and we have more and more things on our lists that we want to do. 

There are other small reasons that we've become just less thrilled with having a pet, and most of it has to do with added costs and responsibilities. Overall, we just feel like Mojo will be better off in a home with someone who has the time and energy to spend doting on the precious guy like he deserves. 

SO. Jason had been bugging me for quite awhile about finding another family for Mojo. After the bloody nose thing happened with Annabelle, I realized he was right. I was sad to think about it, but started praying that the right person would just fall into my lap. That's when I saw a comment from our neighbor's step-mom on a fb picture he posted of his dog. Our neighbors are awesome and have dog-sat Mojo a few times. He loves playing with their dog, Rudy. One time they were dog sitting, his parents were there too, with their boxer, Roxy. Mojo fell in love with Roxy, from the sounds of it :) He was seriously depressed when we came home that time! Anyway, I emailed our neighbor and asked him if he thought his parents would be interested in adopting Mojo. I didn't get my hopes up, since they already have a dog and a couple of cats. I was surprised when he said they were considering it! I messaged his step-mom on facebook and explained more of where we were at with Mojo, and how great of a dog he is. After talking with her husband, she was really excited to say yes! They live out of state with their dog and two cats, and no kids :) She stays home and gets to dote on her animals like they deserve! Roxy goes on lots of long walks, goes swimming, and has a grand old time having the run of the house. Mojo is going to be in doggie heaven there! Plus he'll be with his girlfriend ;) They are driving into town in a few weeks to visit our neighbors, and will take Mojo and his belongings back home with them. 

I am SO THANKFUL with how this worked out. Seriously, so, so, thankful. There was no way in heck that I was willing to just give Mojo up to anyone. Cheri and her husband seem like amazing pet owners. The best part (to me) is that I'll get to see Mojo when they come visit here, and I'll get to stay updated on him via facebook (and she even said she'd Skype with us so we could see him in his new home). I'm so happy that it won't be the last that I'll see of Mojo. I know his life is going to be so awesome there, and our life will get a little bit easier here. 

Do I feel guilty? Yes. A lot. I feel guilty and humbled and embarrassed realizing that the best decision for my family is one that is not a popular one amongst most dog-owners and dog-lovers. But, I also feel less guilty knowing that Mojo is going to an amazing new home with a dog-mama who will love him so much! 

Annabelle seems totally cool with the whole thing. I just keep telling her that Mojo is going to go live with Holden's grandma and grandpa. She doesn't seem to care at all. She likes playing with Mojo, but also gets really annoyed with him when he chases her or gets all up in her face. Plus, she's young enough that she won't really remember having him, which I am glad of. I wouldn't want her to be crushed about the whole thing. 

So, we have a couple more weeks with Mojo. It's bittersweet realizing that, but I'm enjoying some extra doggie snuggles with him, and trying to squish in a few extra walks and play time in the backyard when I can. After he's gone, we will just be "fish people." And, so far we can't keep any alive, so... who even knows about that ;)

0 comments: