Last week and again today I babysat a 5 month old for a friend of mine. Last week we basically hung out at home, I wore her around in the Moby Wrap I have (oh man, is it amazing!), and that was pretty much it. This week though was a sort of last minute thing, and I already had some plans to go shopping today. So, I asked her mom if I could take her with me, and she was fine with it. I went to pick the baby up from her mom's house, and got the car seat base in my car just fine. I snapped the carrier on easily, and off we drove to Target. Then the fun began.
First of all, it is black Friday today, which I was prepared for, so we got a parking space in the back of the lot. No problem, I can cover up her carrier and walk her into the store just fine--oh wait, that is, if I can get her out of the car. That's right, folks. I couldn't get her out of the car. Her mom didn't show me how to use the car seat, and I didn't ask, figuring I knew how they worked. Apparently their features aren't all the same, and I had never seen this kind of base before. I was looking ALL OVER for the button to detach the seat from the base, and could not for the life of me find it. After about 3 minutes of me messing around, baby started to cry, since there was cold air going in the car with the door wide open. So, I climbed in the backseat and shut the door to try and figure it out without the cold air blowing. Now it gets even more fun.
In the process of kneeling in the backseat with the door open, I must have hit the child safety lock button on my door. How do I know? Well, I shut myself in. And then I couldn't get out. The door was locked from the inside, and no matter how many times I pushed the stupid button, the door would not open. I thought about climbing to the front to get out, but I couldn't do that either, because I couldn't get the car seat off the base. So then I was stuck in the backseat in the parking lot of Target with a SCREAMING baby, not knowing what to do. I thought I might die in there. Instead though, I called my knight in shining armor.
Jason appeared about 15 minutes and one cold-breastmilk-bottle later, in his pajamas, to get me out of my car. He opened the door, let me out, and showed me how to undo the car seat. (There was a latch on the BACK of the seat, covered by the sun protector thing that I couldn't see because I was sitting next to her). So off to Target we went, and thankfully, the rest of the day was easier.
Clearly, not a mom yet.
1 comments:
ohhh my gosh what a day! Reminds me of the first time I tried to use my ergo. Don't worry! Things like that will definitely happen to you as a Mommy esp with sleep deprivation in the mix!
Post a Comment