Women need to EDUCATE themselves about their pregnancy, and their childbirth! Epidurals, convenience C-Sections, Pitocin, constant internal fetal monitoring...there are so many things that women just blinding go with without even finding out the risks or benefits on their own.
- For starters, watch The Business of Being Born. It's a great documentary, full of research and facts about the way that many hospitals function.
- Find out about your hospital's C-Section rate. In C-U, Carle Hospital has a 31.8% C-Section rate from 2008, and Provena is at 31.5%. Chances are, most of those c/s are because of "failure to progress." (Now, believe me, I know that some c/s are necessary. I have friends who have been in those situations, and they deserve just as much honor as women who do it "naturally.")
- Many women, unfortunately, are subject to the cascade of interventions that inevitably cause them to have a c/s when they would have been just fine birthing naturally had they been left alone. Find out about your doctor's practice as far as interventions go. Ask for statistics!
- Read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. It will change not only your views on childbirth, but probably your life, as well.
- Research your options for Doulas or Midwives, and see if one or both would be right for you.
- Create a birth plan for your labor, delivery, and post-partum instructions to give to your doctor and nursing staff.
- Find out about what happens immediately after the baby is born. When do you want your baby's umbilical cord cut? Did you know there are even options for that? Do you want the Vitamin K shot? Do you want to breastfeed immediately? Do you want to bathe your baby right away? What about vaccines and circumcision?
All of this to say: YOU HAVE OPTIONS. Do research! Learn as much as you can about labor and childbirth, about how your hospital works, about your home-birth or birth center options. Learn about the miracles that your body can perform, and learn about how you want to work with your body to have the best birth possible. No one has 100% your best interest at heart except for YOU.
9 comments:
While I do not agree with your doctor bashing or the idea of a home birth or questioning the use of vaccines it is important to have a doctor you can trust to provide you with appropriate options. Also, I would just like to add that the whole birthing process is such a minute fraction of both your and the babies life I cannot figure out why people make such a big deal of the birthing process. Get the kids out of me so I can start my life with them!
Wow Beth... uh, I would like to believe that some people celebrate and cherish birth as a milestone, more than "just get the kid out." That is akin to saying "what's the big deal about weddings... all you have to do is get a certificate."
Birth is an intimate moment, the bringing forth of new life, something beautiful and something only women can do... each one is different just as each child is different. Jill, I for one am glad that there are people like you in the world, that recognize the beauty and specialness of Birth :)
I don't think she was doctor bashing. I think she was simply saying that women should educate themselves on birth and realize that they have choices regarding the process. Women should make an educated decision, whatever that may be, that fits the woman. The doctor doesn't always know "best."
And I totally agree with Anonymous!
Women should educated themselves about any medical situation, but especially when it comes to giving birth. My doctor nearly dropped my second child because he refused to listen to me when I told him I knew she was coming! We know our bodies better than a doctor and their fancy instruments can ever know.
It sounds like you guys have been disappointed and disillusioned by the medical profession and for that I am sorry. As a medical professional our clinic always presents patients with all the options and leaves the choices to them. Find a good doctor (or Nurse Practitioner) and make you wishes known but please please respect their professional opinion. I do not expect birth to be a pretty or glamorous process, I just know it is something I will go through in order to have a family, I just do not see it as that big of a deal.
My husband is training to be a nurse practitioner and my baby was delivered in a hospital, so I'm far from disillusioned by the medical profession - I had a wonderful hospital experience. But there's a difference between doctor-bashing and recognizing that doctors DON'T know everything and it's wise to research everything for yourself and make an informed choice. You can respect someone's professional background and still disagree with them in some areas.
As for birth, it may not be pretty exactly, but it is an amazing experience that can be so empowering to a woman and I think that's why some of us are passionate about helping women be informed so that the experience can be all they'd like it to be. :)
First off, thanks Jill for writing this! I just wanted to share my perspective...
I wouldn't say I'm disillusioned by the medical profession, but I have done my research and felt that I would have a better birth experience by choosing a midwife -- one who is very knowledgeable and experienced -- and giving birth in my own home. Because of my choices, I was able to give birth how I felt comfortable, instead of conforming to the timetables, routine procedures, and "rules" of a hospital, which would probably have made me a nervous wreck throughout the whole experience.
I am excited about sharing my experience because I do think it is a big deal. Though my life with my little guy is just beginning, I wanted to give him the most positive and healthy beginning possible. I didn't want any drugs transferred to his tiny body; I didn't want him immediately torn away from me for bathing and poking and eyedrops; I wanted to breastfeed him immediately; and I wanted to start our relationship together in a peaceful, quiet, and calm atmosphere where our family could bond without constant interruptions.
Now, obviously not everyone would be comfortable in the situation I chose, but if women don't research for themselves, and read up on why doctors do things they way they do, how will they ever know what options they have?
Post a Comment