The title pretty much sums up my (Jill) day. WOW! I've been thinking for awhile about what I really want to do with my life, and have been getting pretty discouraged not being able to figure it out. After a lot of prayer, advice, and soul-searching, I was leaning towards nursing, specializing in OB/GYN and then perhaps getting my Master's in Midwifery (delivering babies). It's been amazing how God has lined things up for me.
I applied to Christie Clinic last year in the hopes of being a receptionist, and got the great job that I have as a trainer. My manager and co-workers are great! When they hired me, I was encouraged to go back and get my RN license, as I would be working with a lot of clinical staff. So, at my annual review a few weeks ago, I brought up to my manager that I'd like to go back to school for my RN. I showed her my possible schedule, and asked how flexible she would be with my working (I'd have to go to school during the day for a couple of hours, and would not be able to work full time). She came back and said that she wanted to do anything she could to help me do that, so she got permission from the HR manager to let me start working as an hourly employee when I went back to school. I could work as many hours as I felt comfortable with, and get paid for what I worked, while having the flexibility I needed for school. WOW!
That's not the only part! Christie Clinic is an awesome organization to work for; they pay a certain amount each year for schooling, and even have scholarships for employees going back to school in a medical field. What a blessing that is! We all know that money is tight right now, so to have one less thing to worry about in that area is just incredible.
On top of that, our CEO is always encouraging employees to do POV visits (point of view visits). Basically, job shadowing, to get a better idea of what people do in different departments. I got in touch with a midwife, met with her, and asked if I could job-shadow her. Today was the day!
The day started out completely normal, just lots of basic appointments, annual exams (which was so cool to watch!), and OB appointments. I was disappointed that I wouldn't see a birth (there were none scheduled), but was still excited about job-shadowing her all day. Well, after our last appointment of the day today, the other midwife came running down the hall and said, "You have to go, now!!" Karen looked at me and said, "you coming?" to which I responded, "um, YEAH!" and off we went! It was the most adrenaline I've ever felt in my life. Running to the car, driving like mad, and then running into the hospital to find a woman two pushes away from having her baby. We threw on the appropriate attire, and went into the room with the parents. 5 minutes and two pushes later, I got to see a baby being born a few feet away from me. It was the most amazing experience I've ever had in my life! I was so high I thought I could float away. I got to inspect the placenta, the umbilical cord, and even check out the baby first thing. It was so incredible. I wish I could put into words the emotions that I was experiencing, but I can't. I left that hospital KNOWING that this is what I want to do with my life, no questions asked.
What an amazing place God has put me in, with such awesome opportunities. I can't wait to get started!!
3.12.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Awesome Jill! I am so excited for you, that is the best when your mind tells you "I'm sure of this now!" But even when you're not sure about other things, it's okay. It's a healthy open-mindedness.
By the way, I liked the first picture better of the raindrops on the leaf, because it looked like the droplets were all the little (potential) members of your family:)
haha thanks! Unfortunately, the comments link didn't work, it was an error in the template. We couldn't figure out how to fix it, so we had to get a new template :( boo. I liked it a lot better, too!!
Post a Comment