Tonight we talked about transition and stage 2 of labor (pushing). It's interesting that at the point most women feel like giving up, that's when it's almost time to push baby out! Shannon really emphasized the point of the coach (husband, doula, whoever) really reminding mom at that point that she CAN do it, she's doing a GREAT job, and she's this much closer to holding her baby. Usually it's emotions that make mom want to give up, not the physical pain of giving birth. That sounds good to me, considering being a doula is all about emotional support!
Speaking of which, I got my first doula-mommy tonight. She's a super-sweet young woman who is going through this process relatively alone, without the support of her family, and without much support from the baby's father. I need to provide doula services before I can become DONA certified, and she needs free labor support, so it works out well! She's due in the first part of June, so I'll have plenty of time to keep studying and learning before then. Another couple in the class also offered to let me observe their birth, which is so kind of them.
Yay! I'm so excited about being a DONA certified Doula!!
1 comments:
Nice Blog Jill! Sounds like last nights class was really informative. Rebecca tells me that you and Jason go to Vineyard. That's great to know there are other believers in the class. Have an awesome day!
~Nick
Post a Comment