6.13.2010

Well, Jason has officially given me license to cook vegetarian/vegan foods at home. Hoorah! Now I won't be meat-free all on my own. :)

My two new cookbooks arrived from Amazon yesterday: Veganomicon and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. They both look awesome! I also checked out 9 vegetarian/vegan cookbooks from the library and am going to make copies of a bunch of those recipes. I made a vegan recipe for dinner last night, Mediterranean Wraps. SO GOOD! Jason loved them too, which was so exciting for me :)

First I made wheat tortillas--My search for some at the grocery store without chemicals in them has been fruitless, so I figured making my own would be best. they were great, and I LOVE knowing exactly what's in them. Then I sliced and blanched a container of tofu, and then marinated it in a mixture of olive oil, red-wine vinegar, mint, salt, and pepper, cumin, coriander...I think that's it. While that was marinating, I made the salad part: chickpeas, red onion, cucumber, and garlic. Then I sliced up an eggplant, and Jason grilled the eggplant and tofu. The marinade from the tofu went into the salad, and then when it was all done, we wrapped all of it up in the tortillas, and ate it with cous-cous. DELISH! I will definitely be making that one again. yummo.

My adventures in looking for soy yogurt have been successful, as well. Stonyfield O'Soy Yogurt actually tastes better than "real" yogurt! I did not like the Silk brand, or this other brand I found. Stonyfield wins. Plus it's organic, which also rocks. Silk soy milk is also really good, though I'm thinking that we probably need to be careful about how much soy we're getting. I may bounce between that and rice milk or almond milk.

Things I won't be giving up anytime soon:
eggs
chocolate
some cheese (though we'll be cutting back)
home-made whipped cream
frosting

...so, mostly the really rich stuff. Don't know that I can live without that stuff, yet!!

1 comments:

Val said...

You can make vegan frosting - I use Natural Balance (kind of like margarine but without all the partially hydrogenated oils), all the usual stuff, and soy milk. ... Dan actually adores vanilla soy yogurt because he thinks it tastes like pudding. He'll eat it parfait style with fruit and granola. But I am a big fan of Stonyfield Farm's O'Soy myself. ... And you've inspired me - homemade tortillas. I've never even thought of that, but will definitely have to try! Your recipe sounds delish. :)