4.01.2013

Obviously building garden beds is great and all, but if you don't know what you're growing, it's pointless!

I ordered a few seeds through Territorial Seed. Most I got from Lowe's, though. Territorial Seed is fabulous, though...they have a ton of information, and are very helpful. They also have this handy dandy garden planner on their website! It seriously is so amazing. It's got a to-scale grid on it, and I drew out my garden beds so that I knew what I was working with. Then they have every kind of fruit or veggie you can imagine at the top, with a whole page of information about each item. When to plant it, what to plant it with, how to space it, etc. You just drag and drop it onto your grid, and it puts it on there (also to scale) so I hardly had to do any work at all! It's free for 30 days, which is plenty of time to plan it all out.

We are planting:
Early tomatoes
Later tomatoes
Cherry tomatoes
Bell pepper mix
Lettuce
Spinach
Kale
Broccoli
Zucchini
Cucumber
Pumpkin
Green Beans
Peas
Watermelon
Corn
Sunflowers
Raspberries
maybe Blueberries
an Herb garden (in a container that can be brought inside in the winter)

I am SO excited, and hope to get the first stuff in the ground over the next couple of weeks. I started seedlings inside in a peat tray, but somehow they got moldy and most of them died. It was totally weird and annoying, since I followed the directions to a T (yes, me, who doesn't like to follow them!). oh well. I always had better luck putting it all in the ground from seeds anyway.

We are so looking forward to a nice big crop of food this summer and fall. I have high hopes of canning some of my own tomatoes, but we'll see what happens. I'm also really looking forward to showing Belle how  plants grow out of seeds. I know she's too young to get it, but it will surely be a fun thing for her to help with. What kid doesn't love to play in dirt?!

Happy Gardening!

0 comments: