I sort of feel like this is our first Christmas as a married couple. It's actually our second. But, last year was all sorts of craziness. Still adjusting to our little home, tons of traveling, no tree, no lights, no traditions...just craziness. This year is different.
This year we put up a tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. Our first tree. It is an amazing, beautiful artificial tree given to us by Jason's co-worker and his wife. We are so thankful to them--no way could we have afforded a tree like this! After a long house-day of fixing, spackling, taping, painting, hammering and furniture moving, we put the tree up. Mojo was, of course, terrified of it (hoping it stays that way so he doesn't end up dying of glass ingestion). The tree went up, the lights went up, the ornaments (the few we have) went up, and as an afterthought, some strings of pearlescent white beads we bought for our wedding decorations went up. Plugged in, and--ahhhh. beautiful. Tree skirt--a white sheet would have to do until I have time to make the beautiful quilted one I saw in that magazine. Lights went up outside and in, stockings hung off of the cabinet in the living room, beautiful quilted (and gifted to us) 25 days of Christmas countdown thingy hung on the wall, candles were lit, and suddenly our small, uncomfortable house felt...well...perfect. Cuddled on the couch with our sleepy puppy, the smell of banana-cranberry muffins wafting through the house, lights twinkling. Our own Christmas. sighs and smiles.
This year we'll be sending out a letter with our Christmas cards.
This year I bought cookie cutters to make cookies, and have a candy thermometer so that I don't burn the caramel like I did at my sad attempt last year.
This year will be "Christmas-y."
This year we're reading "The Night Before Christmas" on Christmas eve, before we go to bed. We will be waking up in our own house. We'll be opening our presents from each other in our own home on Christmas morning, with some sort of delicious breakfast that I have yet to decide upon. We'll read the Christmas story from the Bible, and enjoy a short relaxing stint at home before the traveling chaos begins.
This year is our first Christmas with each other, not just another Christmas.
This year we put up a tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. Our first tree. It is an amazing, beautiful artificial tree given to us by Jason's co-worker and his wife. We are so thankful to them--no way could we have afforded a tree like this! After a long house-day of fixing, spackling, taping, painting, hammering and furniture moving, we put the tree up. Mojo was, of course, terrified of it (hoping it stays that way so he doesn't end up dying of glass ingestion). The tree went up, the lights went up, the ornaments (the few we have) went up, and as an afterthought, some strings of pearlescent white beads we bought for our wedding decorations went up. Plugged in, and--ahhhh. beautiful. Tree skirt--a white sheet would have to do until I have time to make the beautiful quilted one I saw in that magazine. Lights went up outside and in, stockings hung off of the cabinet in the living room, beautiful quilted (and gifted to us) 25 days of Christmas countdown thingy hung on the wall, candles were lit, and suddenly our small, uncomfortable house felt...well...perfect. Cuddled on the couch with our sleepy puppy, the smell of banana-cranberry muffins wafting through the house, lights twinkling. Our own Christmas. sighs and smiles.
This year we'll be sending out a letter with our Christmas cards.
This year I bought cookie cutters to make cookies, and have a candy thermometer so that I don't burn the caramel like I did at my sad attempt last year.
This year will be "Christmas-y."
This year we're reading "The Night Before Christmas" on Christmas eve, before we go to bed. We will be waking up in our own house. We'll be opening our presents from each other in our own home on Christmas morning, with some sort of delicious breakfast that I have yet to decide upon. We'll read the Christmas story from the Bible, and enjoy a short relaxing stint at home before the traveling chaos begins.
This year is our first Christmas with each other, not just another Christmas.

(please excuse the poor photo quality, I took this with my phone. The tree is also lacking the beads in this picture.)
2 comments:
ohhh.. it sounds wonderful! can we come, too? i just want to admire your tree and smell banana-cranberry muffins, too. :)
ah, what a refreshing post to get to read! i'm so happy that you're enjoying this amazing season and more importantly enjoying your house and husband. :) your house sounds beautiful and your traditions sound like fun! i think you should make homemade cinnamon rolls for your christmas breakfast (a "tradition" i started last year). :)
Post a Comment