1.19.2010

I meant to post about my 2nd Bradley class, and forgot! Oops.

Again, I was so excited to go—I love learning about childbirth, and being around all of those beautiful mommies and bellys :)

One of the things that I liked most about this class was the analogy that Shannon gave about due dates. There is always so much focus on when baby is supposed to be coming, why they haven’t come, etc… when it’s really not all that necessary to worry about, assuming mom and baby are healthy. Due dates are like apple trees. Not all apples are ready to be picked at the same time—some take longer to ripen than others. Also, even though “full term” is technically 40 weeks, the average gestation time is actually 41 weeks, 1 day. So, don’t let your OB pressure you when your due date rolls on past, if you and baby are healthy.

Another saying I liked out of that class was “Do I want a healthy spinach baby, or a Nacho Cheese Dorito baby??” when thinking about nutrition and what you should eat. Nutrition is so important in pregnancy. We talked more about the Brewer’s diet, which I think is fascinating to learn about. When Dr. Brewer was researching and creating his diet for pregnant moms, he said that they should all have between 80-100g of protein a day. That seems like a lot! But, in the studying that he did, those moms had 0 occurrence of preeclampsia. That’s incredible! The Brewer Diet is very specific, but if you plan out your meals, you can get it all in.

We also discussed the benefits of breastfeeding over bottle-feeding. I already knew there were a lot, but I had no idea how many benefits there actually are. Some of my favorites: breastfeeding releases Prolactin, a “happy hormone” for mom, nursing moms usually get more sleep, BF babies have better vision, BF babies have a lower incidence of diabetes, BFing burns 500 calories a day!, BF babies have fewer dental and orthodontic problem, and it’s cheaper than bottle feeding. There are a gazillion more, but you get the point. Go boobies!

1 comments:

Val said...

the happy hormone is what got me through the first 2 weeks of auggie's life. i'd feel like crying (not terribly uncommon when your hormones are all over the place and you have to go back to work in 3 or 4 weeks), and then i'd sit down, nurse auggie, and know that the world was alright and so was i. the change from one minute of panic to the next minute of well being was palpable.