6.07.2010

Random "stuff" update.

Our house is on the market! wooohoo. Visit www.swigarthouse.blogspot.com to see more about it. Our small group came over on Memorial Day and we worked like CRAZY getting stuff done. It was awesome! Also, my parents came down on Saturday, and helped Jason clean while I was at a birth. The house is sparkling now. We've had two people walk through--hoping it sells quickly! If you know anyone that wants a nice 2-bedroom home, send them our way :)

For the last couple of months, meat has basically disappeared from my diet. I just can't eat it anymore. I started learning about where it comes from, so we switched to organic, free-range meat. Then I realized exactly what I was eating (rotting flesh, anyone?!) and just can't do it anymore. I'm still okay with fish for some reason, but that's the only meat I'll eat. Jason doesn't love this, but he'll survive, I'm sure. I started learning about dairy, too, and that's also slowly going to be leaving our diets. We bought soy milk, which is fine with both of us, and will be trying soy yogurt, too. Not sure about cheese, but we'll see. It's just...gross...if you learn about what is in it (even if it's organic), and what it does in our bodies. Read the book Skinny Bitch if you dare. It's a very kick-in-the-pants book about what we eat and how it affects our bodies.

I just ordered a vegetarian cookbook, and a vegan cookbook from Amazon. Can't wait until they get here!

I got my first doula client and FAM client from my website! Hoorah! Also just had a great birth experience on Saturday. Now all I have to do is send in my stuff and I'll be officially DONA certified.

I guess that's all for now. Boring and random update, but such is life.

5 comments:

Atkins Family Blog said...

not boring at all! selling the house, going veg, becoming a doula! all awesome and exciting!!! you're living the dream midge! :)

Val said...

it's really funny because when i read your post i had about 3lbs of ground beef defrosting on our counter. (i'm cooking large quantities of food and freezing them in anticipation of baby no. 2..) anyway, i had to laugh. ... i am in full support of being vegetarian/vegan. dan and i were so close, actually, before he got sick back in 2007. if it weren't for that we probably wouldn't be eating meat more than once every couple of weeks. but he needs lots of protein, and while i know it's completely possible even as a vegan, it's so much easier to just eat rotting flesh. haha...

btw, i was in borders yesterday and saw 'skinny bitch' and read a few pages. looks like a good read. (if dan does wind up in champaign in the end of the month can i borrow it from you and ship it back?).. i opened up to the page about how awful msg is. word. we've been avoiding it like the plague lately. and hgh.. freekin' fda and sleeping with the enemy... :P

i heart you, jill!

Rachel Drum said...

I agree with Court, not boring at all! I am so glad to see you taking steps towards the lifestyle you want, putting your first house up for sale and changing the diet are huge feats!

I also haven't found a soyogurt I can tolerate just by itself, let me know if you find one. Cheezwise, many vegan and raw eatin' folk use nut cheese, there are all kinds, almond, cashew, I like to use them sometimes. Goat cheese is actually a lot better on the digestive system as well-especially for babies!!

Michelle G. said...

Hey Jill! This is soooo exciting! You're officially a doula! I'm excited to hear about the other births you attended.

Amanderpants said...

You know I love you Jilly, but I will continue to eat my 'rotting flesh' as you called it. Not sure what you're reading, I've never heard it referred to as that! Whatever trips your trigger though I guess.
The one point I WILL argue: if you're truly going to cut dairy, soy is NOT a good substitute in quantity. However if it's occasional I guess it's not a big deal... but if it's only occasional why not eat the real thing? That never made any sense to me.

HOWEVER. I am all in support of your semi-vegetarianism and hopefully it will encourage you to eat more raw, healthy foods! :D